Jones & Cocks was established as an Ironmonger in 1899 by Mr Jones and Mr Cocks, who moved to Aylesbury from Wales. The business originally held a place in Aylesbury’s Market Square previously occupied by Rowe & Co, and for many decades was a prominent feature in Aylesbury life. In the early 1960s the company moved to premises next door to the Dark Lantern pub and a long serving employee by the name of Stan Stiles bought the business. Stan was another local icon and played table tennis for Quainton for many years.
After a period of ownership by Morris’ builders in the late ’70s, the company was bought by John Rayner, who decided to move the company to the Raban’s Lane Industrial area in 1982, where it remains to this day. Guy and Claire Lachlan bought the company on John’s retirement in 2009 and proudly continued the many traditions of the company.
Despite the many changes the company has seen since its foundation, we still aim to provide the same helpful, friendly and knowledgeable service to all customers who walk through our door – trade and retail alike. We stock a very wide range of items from power tools and safety equipment to ironmongery and bottled gas. We supply all types of building companies and professional tradespeople, as well as helping people find everything they need for their DIY projects. Any product not held in stock can be ordered by phone for the following day, and can be delivered free-of-charge to local customers.
The business today continues to be locally owned, and has the best staff in the business.
Photos: Carl Vaughan, Aylesbury Remembered